Under the supervision of the Chief Librarian at BMCC, I supervise the development, implementation and support of the library website, electronic reserves, and web products and services to support learning. As the web specialist, I ensure maximum utilization of the college’s resources and network support for the library, consistent with college and university policies governing IT and network use. The specialist develops and maintains the library website including web pages, graphic design, statistics, documentation and applications associated with service enhancement. Other tasks include supervising the library’s electronic reserve service, coordinating efforts of the library to support and enhance library services through innovative use of information technologies, participating in usability studies and the development of web-based instructional materials, coordinating the Web Services Committee, supervising college assistants or work study students in scanning and digitization, and keeping abreast of the latest developments in library technology, the internet and related information technology.
Here is a breakdown of some of my daily responsibilities:
- Update the library website to be responsive to all devices
- Supervise the library’s electronic reserve service
- Manage the library’s EZProxy service
- Collaborate with both the campus and library’s IT department to support and enhance library services and technologies
- Support and enhance library services through innovative use of information technologies
- Chair the Web Services Committee
- Supervise office assistants or work study students in daily web services tasks, scanning and digitization
- Manage the utilization of Microsoft SharePoint as a library intranet for collection development through custom workflows based on the library’s collection management plan
- Implement a strategic plan to develop a new website using the content management system WordPress through two usability studies and Google Analytics
My technology experiences also include many years of employment at two healthcare software companies. I furnished computer resource support and supervised the acquisition of electronic equipment, and installed proprietary software and trained user clients, both internally within the institution and externally to user clients. I also provided information technology support and executed recovery maintenance on computerized equipment and designed the graphical user interface of proprietary software. In addition to this web experience, I designed and updated a non-profit organization’s Web site using Dreamweaver, CSS, and HTML.
In addition to the above, my technology skills include the following:
Metadata – CCO, CDWA, DACS, Dublin Core, EAC-CVPF, EAD, MARC, METS, MODS, OAI-PMH, TEI, VRA Core
Software – Adobe Acrobat Professional, ARTstor, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft SharePoint, Millennium ILS, Photoshop, Voyager ILS