In his work The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald described a piece of the North Shore of Long Island as the “most domesticated body of salt water in the Western Hemisphere.” Indeed, the 1925 novel is set along the shores of what was called the Gold Coast, a tame play area for the rich and famous. Naturally, some of the affluent residents owned businesses or dwellings in New York City. The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) served as a means to travel from the big city life to the comfort of a secluded estate. Often, the railroad catered to its well-to-do customers by providing the utmost service. The following is a history of both Locust Valley and LIRR service to the community.
North Shore Communities
Prior to European colonization, the Matinecock Indian tribe inhabited northern Long Island. They claimed jurisdiction of what is now Elmhurst into Suffolk County. A subsistent tribe, the Matinecock had several large settlements at Flushing, Glen Cove, Cold Spring, Huntington, and Cow Harbor. While difficult to locate the exact spot to which it applies, the tribe’s name is descriptive of “high land,” common to the area because of the many high hills such as Harbor Hill in the town of North Hempstead. Other connotations of the word are “hill country” or “land that overlooks.” Incorporated on April 2, 1928, the present-day village of Matinecock was once a wooded area where English and Dutch farmers began displacing the Indians. Around the turn of the twentieth century, wealthy New York City residents began buying land and forging estates. A collective endeavor, the exclusive Piping Rock Club was founded in 1912.
Modern Locust Valley was also formerly Matinecock land. The first European settlers arrived in the 1660s. In 1667, Captain John Underhill negotiated land deals with the Matinecock and founded a community. In 1730, the mostly English farmers named the settlement Buckram, most likely after Buckenham, a town in England. In succeeding years, Quakers settled in the area and in 1725 established the Matinecock Meeting House at Piping Rock and Duck Pond Roads in nearby Glen Cove. In the late nineteenth century, they also founded the Friends Academy, a selective college preparatory school educating from nursery to senior high school. At a public meeting in 1856 the name Buckram was changed to Locust Valley because of the many locust trees in the area.
Like Matinecock, Locust Valley also attracted the wealthy in the early twentieth century. Treasuring the scenic woodland, they constructed secluded estates and extravagant country clubs such as the Creek Club on Lattingtown Road built in 1923. What made the area appealing were the zoning ordinances that required a minimum plot of two to five acres. The strict laws protected the rural Long Island North Shore communities from urban encroachment. Properties in the area did not see the division and subdivision that swept so many parts of the island after World War II. While some of the large estates of the 1920s and 1930s are still intact, others were divided or quartered.
Today, Locust Valley is generally considered to include the unincorporated areas of Locust Valley proper, Matinecock, Lattingtown, Mill Neck, Bayville and Upper Brookville, about eighteen square miles in all. All these communities share both the Oyster Bay post office and school district. The local library building dates to 1915 and served as a fire station and bowling alley. It was converted to a library in 1916. By 1988, the population of Locust Valley was 8,514. In the 1990s, the community was rediscovered by a wave of young Manhattanites in their twenties and thirties who chose Locust Valley as a weekend and summer retreat over the Hamptons.
To the northwest of Locust Valley lies Lattingtown. In 1660, Robert Latting and his son Josiah purchased land from the Matinecock Indians that later became Lattingtown. Josiah was a successful businessman, selling marsh reeds for thatched-roof houses. After 1900, wealthy industrialists also transformed former farms into estates. In the early years of the twentieth century, much of the land was owned by two attorneys, Paul and William Craveth. The community was incorporated in 1931.
Rail Service to Locust Valley
The history of rail service to Locust Valley begins in 1865 when the LIRR decided to build a branch off its Main Line at Mineola. Initially, the branch terminated in Glen Cove. However, in 1868, the LIRR decided to complete the line to Oyster Bay. By November of that year, the construction contract was awarded to Patrick C. Shanahan of Newport, Rhode Island. Nevertheless, as work progressed Oyster Bay property owners voiced opposition to the plan. To avoid litigation, LIRR head Oliver Charlick ordered the road to terminate at Locust Valley. The extension opened on April 19, 1869 with the first official train leaving Locust Valley at 7:15 a.m. At the time, the entire Locust Valley Branch was ten and a half miles long, terminating at the present-day corner of Forest Avenue and Birch Hill Road. At the end of August of 1869, the turntable used to reverse a steam locomotive’s direction was moved from Glen Street Station to Locust Valley.
Locust Valley Station
|Station opened||April 19, 1869|
|Depot building opened||November 1872|
|Depot building renovated||1885|
|Depot and station relocated||1889|
|Depot building construction began||October 1, 1905|
|Depot building opened||Some time between October & November 1906|
|Three-sided, saltbox-roofed wooden passenger shelter erected (on the eastbound platform)||1912 (author’s analysis)|
|Wooden passenger shelter remodeled (shed roof replacement)||Mid-twentieth century (author’s analysis)|
|Station agency closed||April 1, 1996 (author’s analysis)|
|Station agent assigned to platform||May – September 13, 1996 (author’s analysis)|
|Twin high-level concrete platform and ramp constructed (each with a large, shed-roofed passenger waiting area shelter and information center made of steel and enamel painted mint and light beige)||November 1997 – August 1998 (author’s analysis)|
Early service to and from Locust Valley and Long Island City was roughly half-dozen trains daily in both directions daily, Monday through Saturday. On Sundays there were two trains both ways. By the fall of 1879, westbound trains to Long Island City departed Locust Valley at 6:35 a.m., 7:50 a.m., 8:15 a.m., 9:35 a.m., 3:00 p.m., and 5:20 p.m. Eastbound trains bound for Locust Valley left Long Island City at 8:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 3:35 p.m., 4:35 p.m., 5:03 p.m., and 6:35 p.m. On Sundays, the westbound trains left Locust Valley at 8:15 a.m. and 4:20 p.m., and eastbound service departed Long Island City at 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
A frame depot was completed at Locust Valley Station in November of 1872 and refurbished in 1885. In 1889, the line was expanded to Oyster Bay and Locust Valley became a way station. As a result, the tracks were realigned and the station and depot building moved a short distance south. Also, the turntable was dug up and moved to Oyster Bay. By the fall of 1889, service to and from Locust Valley was roughly eight trains daily in each direction.
Plans for a new depot were made in July of 1905. The old depot was moved to a private location in Locust Valley. The contract for the new building was awarded to Elmer W. Howell of Babylon for $12,000. A structure with gray-pressed brick and a Spanish tile roof was planned, featuring a granitoid waiting room floor and chestnut woodwork throughout. Sheds were also constructed. Construction began on October 1, 1905. Wood & Holbrook were contracted to paint the new depot and this work commenced the following May. The building opened during October and November of 1906, with low-level platforms extending from the Birch Hill Road crossing on both sides of the track. A three-sided, saltbox-roofed wooden passenger shelter was erected in 1912 when a second track was added as the new the eastbound platform. It was remodeled years later with a shed roof and survived late twentieth century improvements.
Private Parlor Car Service
The steam-hauled coaches of the Gatsby era carried some of the most famous passengers to and from Locust Valley or adjoining stations. Diamond Jim Brady, Lillian Russell, William K. Vanderbilt, and J.P. Morgan were regular riders. Trim carriages and sleek horses often waited at Locust Valley Station to whisk notables to their luxurious estates. Legend suggests that Morgan would never return to the same station from which he left. If he departed from Glen Cove, he’d have his carriage meet him at possibly Locust Valley or another North Shore stop. To serve its most prominent residents, the railroad offered unprecedented service. A parlor car was part of some consists that stopped in Locust Valley. The premium service featured special amenities and comfort. Conductors, upon request, even shined shoes.
As the twentieth century progressed, Locust Valley and other North Shore commuters established a private club car. The exclusive endeavor was available during both rush-hours at a price. In addition to their commutation ticket, it cost each commuter over $150 extra to sit in the 100-member luxury car which boasted comfort seating and pampered service. During the morning rush, passengers boarded the parlor car at Locust Valley and could travel as far as Hunterspoint Avenue Station in Long Island City where they grabbed a subway bound for Manhattan. For the return home, the eastbound parlor car, termed the “banker’s special,” was part of train number 552, which departed Long Island City at 4:58 p.m. and arrived in Locust Valley at 6:11 p.m. In light of the car’s popularity, on January 27, 1958 a private car was added to train number 554. Designed to give members who missed the banker’s special another chance at luxury, it departed Long Island City at 5:25 p.m. and arrived in Locust Valley at 6:40 p.m.
The North Shore private endeavor continued well into the second half of the twentieth century. In fact, the morning westbound parlor car on train number 523 that left Locust Valley at 7:45 a.m. served breakfast on its way to its 8:54 arrival at Hunterspoint Avenue. There were a total of five private cars in operation in 1970, system-wide. The second eastbound Oyster Bay parlor car was discontinued about 1965.
By 1980, there were a total of 120 commuters in two groups paying for private parlor cars, one on the Oyster Bay and the other on the Montauk Branch. Each group had about sixty members and the price was now $200 a year. Fees contributed to the rent of the car which the railroad claimed was $958 a month per car, except during the summer when there was a twenty percent discount. Riders gave up the car on Friday evenings and Monday mornings in the summer because they were needed for East End service. The practice was a profitable venture for the railroad because the cars remained idle except for summer weekends. The passenger limit was about sixty members to avoid standees and there was often a waiting list. The 1980 schedule featured the exclusive club car on train number 509, which stopped in Locust Valley at 7:45 a.m. and arrived at Hunterspoint Avenue at 8:54 a.m. For the ride home, train number 560 left Long Island City Station at 4:52 p.m. and arrived in Locust Valley at 6:04 p.m.
The private cars at this point did not have the attendant who handed out newspapers, and served finger sandwiches and Tom Collins cocktails. The practice was discontinued when the LIRR introduced its new parlor cars in 1975. The new rolling stock was a reconditioned version of the railroad’s MP72T lightweight electric MU coaches. The LIRR rebuilt a total of eleven for parlor service and retired their predecessors. They were identified by a broad red stripe along the window-band. Cars had movable red-and-black padded chairs which were wider and more comfortable than other railroad seats. The walls, like on the diesel coaches, were covered with carpet.
Locust Valley Station and Service Improvements
The Locust Valley Station depot received several modifications and refurbishments over the years. In fact, it received an award during the 1969 holiday season. In the annual holiday station decoration contest, the building won in the garden club category as the Locust Valley Garden Club took home a prize. In the summer of 1951, the LIRR began a two-month repainting program at ten stations in Nassau County. Locust Valley residents were allowed to determine the color scheme, chosing the existing white. Funding was aided by Nassau County, which contributed part of a combined $3 million towards the plan to assist the deficit-ridden railroad. Suffolk Country withdrew support for the project and did not receive station upgrades. Additionally, following two LIRR commuter surveys in 1983 the station emerged with top ratings for overall cleanliness.
Another upgrade to the station was automation of the grade crossing barriers at nearby Birch Hill Road in 1975. Operations were formerly controlled at Locust Tower, a local landmark for almost seventy years. Five block operators shared shifts to turn the cranks that brought down the grade crossing barriers. The practice was replaced when the LIRR built a ten-foot hut to house an electric mechanism.
One of the biggest changes to affect both Locust Valley commuters and the LIRR system-wide was the end of steam travel. In 1955, steam engines were retired and replaced with powerful, more efficient diesel-electric locomotives that required half the maintenance. Although the diesel was first introduced on the LIRR in 1925, it was not used for passenger service until 1949.
Another big change was the introduction of the Metropolitan (M-1) car and electric service to Huntington. By late December of 1969, a total of 228 of 620 new high-speed cars were delivered by the Budd Co. They served 166 of the 670 weekday runs, or almost twenty-five percent.
While the M-1 electric car was not in service on the non-electrified Oyster Bay Branch, service to Locust Valley was slightly improved in the mid-1970s. The push-pull technique of locomotion was inaugurated to save time by eliminating the need to reverse the direction of a diesel engine. Also, two new trains were added to the weekday evening Oyster Bay Branch schedule in October of 1974. The new westbound train number 563 departed Locust Valley at 7:12 p.m. and the eastbound number 572 arrived in Locust Valley at 10:40 p.m. In need of new motive power, twenty-two new diesel engines were ordered, with delivery set for early 1976. The new locomotives, costing $417,000 each for a total of $9.1 million, allowed for the retirement of a quarter of the line’s fleet. The acquisition was funded under the state commuter-car program administered by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
On December 29, 1975, the LIRR’s parent agency, the state-operated Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), announced plans to replace eighty-eight miles of track, make signal improvements, and install additional automatic speed controls as part of a five-year $84 million program for commuter rail lines. The program called for installation of welded rails to eliminate joints that separated conventional rail sections and thus permitted a quieter ride. One track of the Oyster Bay Branch from Mineola to Locust Valley was part of the proposal. While work was underway, the MTA applied for $67 million from the Federal Urban Mass Transportation Administration. In the end, the MTA was awarded $11.3 million. The state transportation department announced on December 28, 1976 that money was received from the federal highway trust fund. It was the first time that federal highway money was assigned specifically for Nassau and Suffolk. A 1973 law which created the Federal Aid to Urban Systems program permitted for a total of $50 million with each county receiving half. In the end the LIRR got $6.8 million.
Although track work progressed on the Oyster Bay Branch, further improvements system-wide were stifled because New York State was faced with critical financial problems. New electrification plans were postponed until after 1980, most notably the Main Line to Ronkonkoma and the Port Jefferson Branch east of Huntington. Additionally, funding for an alternate travel method for the Oyster Bay Branch was in jeopardy. The plan called for gas-turbine rail cars as a diesel replacement. Testing began with an inaugural run on June 17, 1976 as a four-car consist departed Oyster Bay at 9:04 a.m. on its way to Pennsylvania Station. It was the first time in eighty-seven years that an Oyster Bay train traveled directly to New York by its own means. Neither diesel nor steam locomotives was allowed into Pennsylvania Station because of the fumes emitted. However, the new cars had two 500-horsepower gas turbines that could be turned off in electric territory. Power would then be drawn from the third rail. Funded by the federal government and the state for $14.8 million, a total of eight cars were tested. Four were manufactured by the General Electric Company and four by the Garrett Corporation. The cars were formerly tested on the Oyster Bay Branch on non-rush-hour trains for six weeks. The roundtrip consist departed New York at 3:42 p.m. (train number 556) and left Oyster Bay bound for Pennsylvania Station at 5:51 p.m. (train number 561). Despite success, high manufacturing costs doomed the project. Also, there was not enough in the MTA five-year budget to buy a fleet.
New Diesel Fleet
In the 1980s and beyond, the diesel-powered P72 cars showed their age. Built in the 1950s, they were not equipped with complete automatic door-closing mechanisms at low-level platforms at grade such as Locust Valley. To completely close doors, train workers first put down metal traps to cover staircases that allowed passengers to disembark. Typically, between stops, door remained open because of the time involved in opening and closing doors. On the other hand, doors were ordinarily closed on diesel trains that stopped at high-level platforms because the metal steps were not needed. In 1982, according to the railroad opening and closing all doors before each and after every low-level stop would result in long delays for the line’s 45,000 daily diesel train riders. Additionally, the railroad by law was not violating state or federal regulations by leaving doors open. Nevertheless, passenger safety became a major concern on diesel trains. Between 1980 and 1982, twenty-seven people either jumped or fell from moving diesel trains where doors were open. Three were killed. On December 18, 1982, a man fell or jumped from a train near Locust Valley Station and was later found along the right-of-way by a police helicopter. For safety, the LIRR requested passengers to stay out of the vestibule while the train was in motion. However, this was difficult or impossible to control or enforce.
Relief came in the late-1990s with the arrival of new bi-level diesel coaches which required high-level platforms for disembarking. Accompanying the cars was an entire new fleet of locomotives, half of which were dual-mode capable of travel to Pennsylvania Station. The inauguration of service required changes to Locust Valley Station. One related to cost-effective measures taken at the depot agency and the other was the construction of high-level platforms.
The first change pertained to the new QuickTicket vending machine. To stimulate use, a $2 penalty fee was extended to passengers who bought tickets on the train. Initiated in October of 1991, the extra charge was levied when the boarding station’s ticket office was open or a machine available. Another change was ticket office hours. Beginning on July 22, 1992, the depot window opened earlier, from 6:10 a.m. to 1:45 p.m., but with fewer scheduled hours.
The change which caused the most uproar was the elimination of the station agent. A 1994 state audit stated the railroad wasted money by employing agents and maintaining ticket vending machines at stations serving few passengers. A spokesman for State Comptroller H. Carl McCall commented: “there were allocations of resources where the demand didn’t meet supply.” Railroad officials agreed and added that they tried to reduce hours at several lightly-used stations but community opposition led them to reconsider. The audit concluded that it was illogical to employ full-time ticket sellers at several stations and cited that “because of such inconsistencies the LIRR [might] incur unnecessary costs.” The railroad could save $922,000 by closing twelve station agents, the audit suggested. Locust Valley was one of the locations identified. It was considered lightly-used and all freight operations on the Oyster Bay Branch ceased in mid-1982.
Two years later, the railroad was prepared to close the Locust Valley agency as of April 1, 1996. However, a day later a state judge in Mineola blocked the action after Nassau County attorneys argued that the plan discriminated against the visually-impaired because vending machines didn’t have instructions in braille. The ruling from State Supreme Court Justice Ralph Franco followed a lawsuit Nassau County filed the previous month, charging that the railroad and the MTA violated the terms of a two-year-old subsidy agreement. Lawyers argued that closing agencies violated the Americans with Disabilities Act. Locust Valley was spared, at least temporarily. Station agents were assigned to the platform beginning at the end of May.
However, the LIRR challenged the ruling. Speaking on its behalf, spokeswoman Susan McGowan said: “we have always felt that it is our right to take this action…and we will pursue this in court.” LIRR President Thomas F. Prendergast added that eliminating thirty-two clerk positions saved the LIRR $2.8 million. The MTA defended the action as a necessity given that government cutbacks reduced its budget. Senator Alfonse D’Amato said Nassau County contributed about $19 million in annual station maintenance fees and, if there were any savings to the MTA, it should be passed on to riders through a fare reduction. McGowan countered this citing that subsidy money was reduced by $38 million. In the end, the ruling was overturned and the LIRR was allowed to eliminate the permanent Locust Valley agent as of September 13.
To add insult to injury, the LIRR took one track out of service for three months on the Oyster Bay Branch beginning on July 15, 1996. The action caused a major reshuffling of train schedules, including two-hour waits between some midday trains. Buses also substituted for train service between Oyster Bay and Locust Valley on select non-rush-hour trains. Most rush-hour trains weren’t affected, although train number 501 which stopped at Locust Valley at 5:23 a.m. on its way to Mineola was replaced by a bus. The service change was due to a massive, $5.8 million track rehabilitation project that replaced 22,000 track ties and grinded rails back into shape.
By 1997, the fleet of bi-level coaches was ordered and the LIRR prepared to substitute existing low-level platforms at grade with four-foot high replacements to hold up to four cars. At Locust Valley, construction began in early November 1997 with work to be completed by the following August. A set of platforms was planned on each side of the tracks, complete with ramps on the west-ends to accommodate persons with disabilities. The eastbound platform to be constructed just west of the wooden passenger shelter and the westbound to be just west of the depot building. Each platform was to have a large waiting area shelter. Following completion, the station area would be landscaped.
When work was finished, Locust Valley customers were outraged that the LIRR put up a fence on each side of the tracks running from the platforms to Birch Hill Road. When completed on October 26, the fence eliminated a pedestrian crossing half-way between the parking area on each side of the track. LIRR official Frank Iraggi claimed the fence was necessary to protect passengers. In light of the raised platforms, the crew no longer had a clear view of the tracks. Despite attempts to remove the fence, it is still in place today. Another commuter complaint was that the westbound shelter was located at the west end of the platform, the farthest point away from the depot.
Today, there is a set of dual-mode locomotives that hauls bi-level consists into and out of Pennsylvania Station and Locust Valley. One is the morning rush-hour train number 503 which leaves Locust Valley at 6:00 a.m. and arrives in Manhattan at 7:06 a.m. The other is the evening train number 564, departing New York at 6:16 p.m. and stopping at Locust Valley at 7:19 p.m. It is difficult to predict what the future holds for service at Locust Valley but it continues to serve some of the wealthiest residents on Long Island.
 Monique P. Yazigi, “Where Those Who Would Be Gatsby Go,” New York Times (1923-Current file), August 23, 1998, http://www.proquest.com.
 Benjamin F. Thompson, History of Long Island: Containing an Account of the Discovery and Settlement (New York: E. French, 1839), 66.
 William Wallace Tooker, The Indian Place-names on Long Island and Islands adjacent with their Probable Significations (Port Washington, N.Y. : I.J. Friedman, 1962), 115-116.
 Staff of Long Island, Our Story, Home Town Long Island: the History of Every Community on Long Island in Stories and Photographs (Melville, NY: Newsday, 1999), 54.
 Ibid., 53; Todd Purdum, “If You’re Thinking of Living In: Locust Valley,” New York Times (1923-Current file), January 15, 1984, http://www.proquest.com.
 Purdum, “If You’re Thinking of Living In: Locust Valley”; John Arundel, “If You’re Thinking of Living In: Locust Valley,” New York Times (1923-Current File), March 5, 1989, http://www.proquest.com.
 Ibid; Yazigi, “Where Those Who Would Be Gatsby Go”
 Staff of Long Island, Our Story, Home Town Long Island, 53.
 Henry Isham Hazelton, The Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, Counties of Nassau and Suffolk, Long Island, New York, 1609-1924 (New York: Lewis Historical, 1925),393.
 Vincent F. Seyfried, The Long Island Rail Road: A Comprehensive History, vol. 3, Age of Expansion (Garden City, NY: Seyfried, 1984), 22-24.
 Long Island Railroad Time Table,” Long Islander (Huntington), September 26, 1879, http://apa3.olivesoftware.com.
 Vincent F. Seyfried, The Long Island Rail Road: A Comprehensive History, vol. 6, The Golden Age 1881-1900 (Garden City, NY: Seyfried, 1984), 278.
 Ibid., 65.
 “The New Time-Table,” Long Islander (Huntington), October 5, 1889, http://apa3.olivesoftware.com.
 “Long Island Rail Road: Alphabetical Station Listing and History,” Trains are Fun, accessed October 3, 2014, http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/lirrstationshistory.htm.
 “Babylon Local Record,” South Side Signal (Babylon), December 2, 1905, http://apa3.olivesoftware.com.
 “Babylon Dramatic Society,” South Side Signal (Babylon), May 6, 1906, http://apa3.olivesoftware.com.
 Seyfried, The Long Island Rail Road: A Comprehensive History, vol. 6, 346; “Locust Valley Station view E at MP 29 c. late 1940s (Fred Weber-Dave Morrison),” Trains are Fun, accessed September 24, 2015, http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/locustvalley/Locust-Valley-Station_viewE-MP29_c.late-1940s_FredWeber.jpg; “Branch Notes,” Trains are Fun, accessed on March 16, 2016, http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/branchnotes.htm.
 Val Dunean, “Echo from a Mournful Whistle,” Newsday (1940-1986), July 8, 1955, http://www.proquest.com.
 “High Time,” Newsday (1940-1986), January 29, 1958, http://www.proquest.com; Long Island Rail Road, Schedule in Effect September 2, 1958, Long Island Rail Road, Time Tables (New York: Long Island Rail Road, 1958), Oyster Bay Branch.
 Long Island Rail Road, Schedule in Effect September 17, 1962, Long Island Rail Road, Time Tables (New York: Long Island Rail Road, 1962), Oyster Bay Branch; “Fried Grasshoppers on L.I.R.R? Party Gets Frogs’ Legs, Too,” New York Times (1923-Current file), August 20, 1965, http://www.proquest.com.
 Noel Rubinton, “Riding in Style on the LIRR: While Most Commuters Stand and Sweat, Two Small Groups Have Rented Private Parlor Cars,” Newsday (1940-1986), September 11, 1980, http://www.proquest.com.
 Long Island Rail Road, Effective December 20, 1980, Oyster Bay Branch, The Long Island Rail Road (New York: The Long Island Rail Road, 1980).
 Rubinton, “Riding in Style on the LIRR”; “Long Island Rail Road Rebuilt Lightweight Parlor Cars ‘The Sunrise Fleet,’” Dominion Rail Voyages, LLC, accessed on January 26, 2014, http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/lirr/page5.html.
 “Station Decorations Awarded,” Newsday (1940-1986), December 26, 1969, http://www.proquest.com.
 “L.I.R.R. Paints Stations,” New York Times (1923-Current file), August 6, 1961, http://www.proquest.com; “Suffolk Given RR Brushoff: No Paint Jobs,” Newsday (1940-1986), August 9, 1961, http://www.proquest.com.
 Patrick Brasley, “LIRR Says It’s Getting Spiffier,” Newsday (1940-1986), April 9, 1983, http://www.proquest.com.
 Barbara Kantrowitz, “A Tower where the End Is in View,” Newsday (1940-1986), January 10, 1975, http://www.proquest.com.
 Dunean, “Echo from a Mournful Whistle.”
 Dave Behrens, “On the LIRR, ‘Bah!’ Turns to ‘Baa’,“ Newsday (1940-1986), December 12, 1969, http://www.proquest.com.
 Jim Smith, “LIRR Adds 19 Non-Rush,” Newsday (1940-1986), October 3, 1974, http://www.proquest.com; Long Island Rail Road, Effective May 24, 1976, Oyster Bay Branch, The Long Island Rail Road (New York: The Long Island Rail Road, 1976); Tom Morris, “LIRR Upgrading Is Included in New Commuter Rail Plan,” Newsday (1940-1986), December 29, 1975, http://www.proquest.com
 Tom Morris, “LI Mass Transportation Funds OKd,” Newsday (1940-1986), December 29, 1976, http://www.proquest.com.
 Sid Cassese, “Taking the Change through Jamaica,” Newsday (1940-1986), June 18, 1976, http://www.proquest.com; Tom Morris, “Coming Up: A Standstill Decade,” Newsday (1940-1986), January 13, 1976, http://www.proquest.com; Long Island Rail Road, Effective May 23, 1977, Oyster Bay Branch, The Long Island Rail Road (New York: The Long Island Rail Road, 1977).
 “Open Door to Danger on LIRR: Policy of Leaving Train Doors Open in Travel Is Seen by Some as Line’s Greatest Hazard,” Newsday (1940-1986), December 30, 1982, http://www.proquest.com.
 Tony Schaeffer, “$2 Fine at More Stations,” Newsday (Nassau and Suffolk Edition), October 22, 1991, http://www.proquest.com.
 Ed McCoyd, “LIRR Alters Ticket Hours,” Newsday (Nassau and Suffolk Edition), July 23, 1992, http://www.proquest.com.
 Andrew Smith, “Audit: LIRR Ticket Setup Wasteful,” Newsday (Nassau Edition), May 6, 1994, http://www.proquest.com; Marie Cocco, “LIRR Updates Freight Car Repairs,” Newsday (1940-1988), May 6, 1982, http://www.proquest.com.
 Sylvia Adcock, “Judge Derails Ticket Booth Plan/LIRR Machines Lack Braille,” Newsday (Nassau and Suffolk Edition), April 3, 1996, http://www.proquest.com.
 Monte R. Young, “D’Amato Rips LIRR Ticket Booth Plan,” Newsday (Nassau and Suffolk Edition), April 12, 1996, http://www.proquest.com.
 “Long Island Rail Road Ticket Vendors Out Again,” Suffolk County News, September 12, 1996, http://apa3.olivesoftware.com.
 Sylvia Adcock, “Work Alters LIRR Schedule,” Newsday (Combined Editions), July 13, 1996, http://www.proquest.com; Long Island Rail Road, Effective November 17, 1997, Oyster Bay Branch Timetable (New York: Long Island Rail Road, 1997).
 “LIRR Work Begins in LV,” Locust Valley Leader, November 13, 1997; MTA Long Island Rail Road, Timetable No.1, effective: 12:01 a.m. Monday, June 18, 2001 for the Government of Employees Only (MTA Long Island Rail Road: New York, 2001).
 “Irate LIRR Customers,” Locust Valley Leader, October 29, 1998.
 Long Island Rail Road, Effective September 2 – November, 2014, Oyster Bay Branch, The Long Island Rail Road (New York: The Long Island Rail Road, 2014).