The first recorded land deeds on Long Island were in what it is now Kings County, or the Borough of Brooklyn of the City of New York. Two of the three Indian deeds, or Dutch ground-briefs, bore the date June 16, 1636, while the other is dated July 16 of the same year. The deeds refer to three “flats,” or tracts of land, that were part of a larger tract called by the Indians Keskateuw. Following the conquest of the Dutch New Netherlands, the English established Kings County in 1683. Later, the county was subdivided into six towns: Bushwick, Brooklyn, Flatbush, Flatlands, New Utrecht, and Gravesend. Brooklyn, popularly known as the “City of the Churches,” was granted a city charter in 1834. Following the annexation of neighboring territory, in 1897 the City of Brooklyn, included all of Kings County. In its 1897 charter, the consolidation of Greater New York was “an act to unite into one municipality under the corporate name of The City of New York, the various communities lying in and about New York Harbor, including the City and County of New York, the City of Brooklyn and County of Kings, the County of Richmond, and part of the County of Queens, and to provide for the government thereof.” As of January 1, 1898, the City of Brooklyn consolidated with the City of New York and became a borough of the greater city.
Select one of the following:
 Frederick Van Wyck, Keskachauge or the First White Settlement on Long Island (New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1924), 14.
 Henry Isham Hazelton, The Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, Counties of Nassau and Suffolk, Long Island, New York, 1609-1924 (New York: Lewis Historical, 1925), 939.
 Benjamin F. Thompson, History of Long Island: Containing an Account of the Discovery and Settlement (New York: E. French, 1839), 170.
 Edward Hagaman Hall, A Volume Commemorating the Creation of the Second City of the World: by the Consolidation of the Communities Adjacent to New York Harbor under the New Charter of the City of New York (New York: Republic Press, 1898), 15.
 Ibid., 158.